Monday, December 7, 2009

My Embarassing Moment

As the mother of a newborn, I am doing the BEST THING (as so many other mothers like to proclaim) and breastfeeding my child. Jeremiah was unable to latch when he was first born, so I took to pumping... every feeding for 8 long, milk-challenged months. When Jonah was born, I was pleased to find that he latched very easily and very well... however, I found that I am just not a "breastfeeder." I dislike the act of breastfeeding. It hurts. Yes, I have been told numerous times that the pain goes away, but apparently not quick enough to suit me... so I am back to pumping.

That's not the embarassing part... just wait. It's coming.

Since I am pumping again, obviously there are times when I am away from home for longer periods of time... such as Sundays, at church. Rather than suffering engorgement and the pain that comes with that, I opted for taking my pump with me. Our church prepared for having a newborn again by emptying out a room and making it a nursery with a partition for extra privacy. Well, yesterday (Sunday), I took use of this room in order to pump. All was well. All was calm and peaceful. Until....

a very zealous head-counting usher decided to see if anyone occupied the nursery. Never fear! I was behind the partition. That was the whole point of having it... extra privacy for those modesty moments. I heard a knock.. the door opened. "Is anyone here?" Now, the speakers from the auditorium were on so I could hear the service and it was pretty loud... and I barely heard his question. But I quickly answered... "Yes. I'm here. Just one" (hoping he would hear take my accurate number and leave). But, he didn't. He moved to cross the partition and I repeated "Just one! Just one!" and he appeared.

The shock on my face must have helped him more quickly register what he saw... a woman with her shirt pulled up around her neck completely exposing herself. What a lovely view!

Needless to say, he backed up pretty quick and I heard three quick "I'm sorry" 's before the door closed shut.

Mortification reigns!

Then I couldn't help but laugh... the irony of it all: I don't even allow my husband in the room while I'm pumping. I'm hoping that usher will pass along the wisdom of: "If you see the partition in the nursery pulled out... RUN AWAY!"

2 comments:

  1. That is to funny. The things we go through to breast feed our little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my:)) yea, I remember one time when I came out of the "breastfeeding room", thinking everything was normal, when I was actually walking around with my shirt completely unbuttoned (every button), flashing my undershirt, showing off my milk endowed breast:)))

    ReplyDelete