Sunday, September 20, 2009

Preterm Labor

That is the phrase the nurse and doctor used on me at the hospital last night. I have been experiencing "discomfort" since Friday and just tried to suck it up until Saturday night. I thought it was just Braxton Hicks contractions, but then remembered that BHC doesn't occur in one's back... so I called the hospital and after giving me an assignment to rehydrate while lying down to see if that decreased the contractions, had me come in because it didn't work.

I ended up arriving at Sauk Prairie Memorial Hospital (45 minute drive from our home in Portage) at 9:00pm and left today (Sunday) at 8:30am after two shots of a uterine relaxer (don't really remember the name) which made me really hyper and shaky since the contractions were anywhere from 4 to 6 minutes apart. Thankfully, I can be home and do my normal activities MINUS bike rides and walks (according to the doctor). If I get anymore contractions, though, I'll have to go back in.

Week 34 may change all that. They are less likely to try and stop the contractions once you reach that magic cutoff because there is a higher chance of infection and less chance of the prevention actually working. I am in Week 32.

So, that is my weekend update.


In other news, I started a book (recommended by my friend Ivana) called "Future Men" which I hope to talk about on this blog. I read the introduction yesterday in my hot bath (while trying to minimize my contraction discomfort)... and I think this book review will be most profitable for all of us.

Until then...

1 comment:

  1. darling wendy, I am so sorry about what happened!! man, it must have been very disturbing! ok, now, you relax - even more than the doctor said, please!! I understand how difficult it actually is to relax with a child around, and your husband having to do your chores, but... it is worth it. I was on bedrest with both my boys, and we stayed alive through all of it:)
    Hang in there, dear sister!!

    ReplyDelete