Thursday, July 22, 2010

Shish Kabobs

A very recent phenomenon has occurred at the Young household. We discovered Shish Kabobs. Unfortunately, once we discover something we continue it over and over to perfect it. We are in the midst of 3 weeks of shish kabobs. I haven't regretted it, yet.

The first time (last week), I made a marinade, touted to be awesome with beef, and soaked the chosen meat (round steak and chicken) for 24 hours. We found that it tasted the best with the chicken. So the search is now on for making our steak taste just as delectable and, preferably, spicy.

The marinade for "Beef" (use chicken... just trust me on this) is below.

1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon vinegar (I used white)
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ginger
3/4 cup oil (olive is healthier and tastes just great... though it does look funky after 24 hours of soakage in the refrigerator)
1 green onion -- chopped (not completely necessary.. I used minced onion)
2-1/2 pounds boneless beef top sirloin -- cubed (used round steak)
1-1/2 1 pound Polish sausage links, low fat -- sliced (subbed for chicken... use the chicken!)
1 8 oz can pineapple, chunks -- drained (I bought a fresh pineapple... totally worth it)
3 green bell pepper -- cut in 1 1/2" pieces (used red bell pepper)
2 red onions -- cut in 1 1/2" wedges (bought only 1)
10 metal skewers

My darling husband has done his utmost to learn how to use our charcoal grill so he feels like he is helping and is "manly". What we have both realized is that grilling is a delicate balance of daring and expertise (neither of which he has in abundance). Me: "Jeremy... STOP opening the lid. It won't cook!!" "Yes, it is definitely done... it is NOT bleeding. You're not going to get salmonilla.. Just trust me."

So far, he has not been ill or died from anything I have forced him to take off the grill "even though it's still bleeding," but I'll keep you posted.

Tonight, I am going to be experimenting on a new marinade for tomorrow's Sabbath Eve supper (for which we are expecting an honored guest... Miss Sandra, a lovely woman who has graciously adopted our grandparent-less children). My children do have grandparents, but they live on opposite coasts from us in the midwest.

Until tomorrow... have a wonderfully blessed supper and cherish your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment